Monday, February 12, 2018

Keep car sales closed on Sundays


Howard Splittgerber, Carlisle, Letter to the Editor

Published 2:27 p.m. CT Feb. 12, 2018



(Photo: Kelsey Kremer/The Register)


I am a 20-year veteran of the new car sales business who has worked in a state where Sunday sales are allowed. When I moved to Iowa, I was very pleased when I learned the state prohibited auto sales on Sunday. I am speaking for all of us in the car business when I say we dread working on Sundays. Most of us are men and women who love our families and want to be with them as much as we can, especially on Sundays. There is a saying in business: If you can't be profitable in six days a week, seven days a week is not the cure.

As far as the customer goes, they will find a way to buy in the evenings or on Saturdays. With the internet at their fingertips and digital cameras able to email photos of the trade-ins, it is easier than ever to get the best deal right from your own home and just go to the dealership and pick up your purchase. Let's leave Sunday as a day of rest for us in the car business who work way too many hours already.

— Howard Splittgerber, Carlisle





No comments: